Why Proper Nutrition For Your Pets Is SUPER Important
Happy Thursday, friends! Today we are going to be talking about pet nutrition – something that is really important in the Mobley house. We have quite the zoo over here now with two cats and a dog. I wouldn’t have it ANY other way – I love my pets! And because I love them SO MUCH, I want to make sure that I am feeding them the best food I possibly can so that they live the best, healthiest, and happiest life they can. Let’s dive into this.
Why Proper Nutrition For Your Pets Is SUPER Important
This post is sponsored by Royal Canin. All opinions are mine and mine alone.
As a pet owner, one of the most important things in my life is making sure my pets are fed and fed well. I love my animals and I want to make sure that a) they are NEVER hungry, b) they enjoy the food they are eating and c) get all of the nutrients they need to thrive. I’m partnering with Royal Canin today to bring you some helpful facts & tips to making sure you are feeding your pets appropriately and helping them maintain a healthy weight throughout their lives!
- Like people, both dogs and cats have calorie needs specific to their breed, age, size and activity level. No two animals will have exactly the same needs, which is why it’s important to make sure you are measuring their food according to the back of your bag.
- Treats are a lot higher in calories than you may think. Unfortunately, giving multiple treats a day can take up a big portion of their calorie needs and cause unnecessary weight gain. For ex: a 44 lb dog that consumes 2 oz. of liver treats is the equivalent of a human consuming 3 doughnuts.
- If you are providing treats to your pets, make sure they are factored in to their daily caloric needs.
- Controlling weight can be as simple as measuring the food you feed your pets! Use a good measuring cup to make sure you aren’t over feeding.
- Exercising your pets is crucial to their health and well-being. Dogs need walks and jogs, and rigorous playtime to keep them active and healthy. Cats can be more difficult to get moving, but you can still help them play and run around to get some exercise in.
- Your vet will be a great source in helping you determine exactly how much food and exercise your pet needs!
What are the benefits to proper nutrition for your pets?
Good nutrition for your pets is KEY to making sure they thrive in your home. It impacts every single part of their daily life, and can make or break a happy pup! Here are the 4 key benefits to pet nutrition:
- Muscle tone & body composition.
- Coat & skin health.
- Digestion & elimination.
- Immunity & prevention of disease.
Muscle Tone & Body Composition:
Dogs & cats alike need to maintain good muscle tone and body composition. Every cell in their body is made up of protein. This is KEY to thriving. Protein helps to build skin, hair, muscles, organs and tissues. Young and growing pets need a lot of protein to keep up with their ever expanding and growing body. Making sure their diet has the right amount of protein ensures that they can build strong muscles. Dogs and cats are lean, strong animals by nature. Just because they are indoor doesn’t mean they have to sacrifice this part of their genetic makeup. This is yet another reason why it is important to find the proper diet for your pet at each stage of their lives.
Coat & Skin Health:
Pets with rich, shiny coats are often praised for being in good health. Coat health can be one of the first indicators that there is something missing from a pets diet. Eating the right balance of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids will aid in producing the right amount of oils to support healthy skin and coat. Dry, nutrient-poor skin will often show a dull coat or bald patches. Good news: foods high in omega-6 and omega-3 also have the benefit of being an anti-inflammatory which can help with allergies and other skin irritants.
Digestion & Elimination:
Fiber is important in maintaining a good digestive system in your pets. Royal Canin diets are formulated so that our pets get the needed nutrients readily available to their digestive system, and are therefore easily absorbed by the body. You want your pet food to be easily absorbed so they can use all of the nutrients and can eliminate waste easily.
Immunity & Prevention of Disease:
Vitamins and minerals found in each bag of pet food work to make sure your pets immune system and metabolism work at their top speed. Having the right vitamins can ensure that any cellular damage done to their bodies is reduced and corrected daily. Minerals help to ensure normal functioning of cells in the body. You can get vitamins and minerals from both plant and animal sources. Without the right levels of vitamins and minerals, you run the risk of having a very sick pet. An example of this is seen most often in cats who do not have the correct levels of Taurine in their diet. Without Taurine, cats become very sick and do eventually die.
PIN THIS FOR LATER:
I hope this was super informative for you. I know you guys love your pets as much as I do, and how important it is for you to get them the proper nutrition. These are just some reasons being informed on the food you feed your pets is crucial in being a pet owner.
What kind of food do you feed your pets? Let me know in the comments below!